Quality of Life for our Patients
Rehab can often include a combination of at-home exercises that we can review with you, as well as conduct therapeutic strengthening exercises and different modalities (such as laser therapy or shock wave therapy). We will often make a plan for weight loss if necessary and multimodal drug therapy.
The goals of rehab therapy:
Achieving the highest level of function, independence, and quality of life possible for that patient. Some benefits of rehab in our canine patients include: increased strength and endurance, reduced pain, increased speed of recovery post-surgery, and improved quality of movement.
Rehab can be a nice way to complement traditional pharmacological management of chronic conditions. It can also be used as an alternative for our patients who cannot tolerate traditional drugs used for pain management and arthritis.
Some of the modalities that we employ are:
- Balance board: Balance board exercises can assist in the restoration of stability and proprioception, as well as early weight bearing following back, rear limb, or front limb injury. It can also improve balance and coordination.
- Physio ball stretching: We use these to stretch and provide low-impact rear limb strengthening exercises. It also helps to relax the spine and loosen the muscles.
- Muscle strengthening exercises: Exercises that aim to rebuild muscle mass.
Some of the equipment that we use:
- Laser Therapy: Laser therapy is the use of light (typically infrared) energy to stimulate tissue repair and provide pain management. Laser therapy may alleviate muscle and joint discomfort, relieve symptoms of arthritis, relax muscle spasms and increase blood flow to an area, helping injuries to heal.
- Shock Wave Therapy: Shock Wave therapy is the application of short, intense sound waves to a specific site to stimulate healing. It is used for the treatment of arthritis, tendon injuries, ligament damage, scar tissue, non-healing fractures or wounds, and other musculoskeletal injuries.
- Underwater Treadmill: This type of therapy can decrease recovery time from surgery, decrease pain, and increase mobility and strength. Being in the after reduces pressure on your pet's joints, and improves muscle strength, cardiovascular endurance, and range of motion.
- Initial rehab consults 60min - $140
- Underwater Treadmill up to 30min - $60
- Floor exercises only 30min - $50
- Home exercises 10min - $25
- Full rehab session includes (laser, shockwave, treadmill, floor exercises) 60 min - $75
If you are interested in starting rehab therapy for your pet please contact Allandale Veterinary Rehab at (512) 551-3041 to set up an initial rehab consultation appointment.
We look forward to helping your pet feel its best throughout all life stages!